Century old picture of Sanskrit scholar Thuravoor Narayana Sastrigal (my ancestor) with A. R. Rajaraja Varma and others, most probably taken in early 1900s

Last updated on 18th April 2023;

Copied with minor link update from ravisiyer.blogspot.com on 14 Apr. 2023, first published there on March 07, 2023

After a great deal of searching, finally I got the picture of my great-grandfather, Thuravoor Narayana Sastrigal (TNS), an eminent Sanskrit scholar and grammarian of Kerala in late 19th and early 20th century, with A. R. Rajaraja Varma (ARRV) and others, from a biography on ARRV. The book is titled, "Ē. Ār. Rājarājavarmma - Volume 3" (A.R. Rajaraja Varma-III) by M. Bhagirathy Amma Thampuran and M. Raghava Varma Raja, first published in February 1963 by M. Bhagirathy Amma Thampuran.

This seems to be the Google Books link for the book: https://books.google.co.in/books?id=X4ARAQAAIAAJ .

The original pic (without my slight editing) was shared with me today (7th March 2023) by Shri D.K.M. Kartha who now lives in USA but is originally from Thuravoor, Kerala which is the same town that Thuravoor Narayana Sastrigal (or Thuravoor Narayana Shastri) hailed from. He was able to access the book.

The page with the pic has no number, but it is placed between pages 192 and 193 of the book (Third Volume). As of now, I don't know the date the pic was taken but I think it would be slightly over a century ago and probably in the period between 1900 and 1920.

The pic given below is a slightly edited by me version of the original pic where I have added name labels and done some cropping and rotation. The pic is of my great-grandfather Thuravoor Narayana Sastrigal (TNS) with ARRV and others. 


I am very grateful to, and thank the author and publisher of the book, M. Bhagirathy Amma Thampuran and the co-author M. Raghava Varma Raja for the above pic. I have presumed that they will have no objections to the pic being shared on this public blog post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever. Further note that a period of 60 years has passed from the first publication date of February 1963 and now (March 2023) which seems to put the above photograph out of copyright, as per Indian copyright laws.

I am very deeply grateful to Shri D.K.M. Kartha for all the efforts he put in to locate the book, get it, locate this photograph in the book and send its pic to me. He has given me great joy (and, quite surely, to other descendants of TNS as well), and I thank him profusely for it.

On sharing the picture with my cousin, he told me that it was this picture that his late father (TNS' grandson) had shown to him and which was in their home many years ago but which seems to have got lost later on. So we did not have any photograph of TNS till Shri D.K.M. Kartha sent me a picture of the book page today.

I have given below pics with cut-outs of only TNS & ARRV (A.R. Rajaraja Varma) and then only TNS, made by suitably cropping the above pic.




To know more about TNS, please visit my post: Summary info. about Thuravoor Narayana Shastri, Sanskrit scholar and eminent grammarian of late 1800s and early 1900s from Kerala,  https://tnarayanasasthri.blogspot.com/2023/04/summary-info-about-thuravoor-narayana.html .

About ARRV from his wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._R._Raja_Raja_Varma , "A. R. Raja Raja Varma or A R. Rajaraja Varma (Malayalam: എ.ആർ. രാജരാജവർമ്മ) (1863–1918) was an Indian poet, grammatician and Professor of Oriental Languages at Maharaja's College (present University College), Trivandrum."

================================

Given below are my comments (slightly edited) from my associated FB post:  https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/pfbid0mMghUknXdWbaSDTCrK9UNKB92MqmdB8jifriqks5roAx1VpipgjPZfczSg2Si2jul :

Thanks. It is a really precious

...

Very happy that you are happy seeing this pic of our great-grandfather! This joy grows with sharing 🙂!

=============================== 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information revolution enabled me to get decent amount of info. on Thuravoor Narayana Shastri, my great-grandfather

Trying to get more information about my great-grandfather, Sanskrit scholar Thuravoor Narayana Sasthrigal of Kerala

Sanskrit drama author Bhattasri Narayana Sastri (1860-1911/1918) IS NOT my ancestor Thuravoor Narayana Sastrigal (TNS)